Thursday, May 29, 2014

After the Vacation

Many folks take a summer vacation and invariably upon return discover that they also took a little break from healthy habits.  I am no exception.  I took a short little camping trip with about 30 women that all like to cook "comfort food" then immediately spent a week with my sister from Texas who is also a big fan of southern cooking.  In that period of time the only exercise I managed to get was moving my campsite three times in as many days to avoid rising flood waters.


We had to double up on campsites.  Fortunately, I travel light in my roving American TARDIS.  Yes, it is bigger on the inside and all of that did fit in the truck!
Anyway, I gained 10 pounds over the last 2 weeks.  Ugh!  I feel like a slug!  So, I have started working out again and logging my food intake.  I am doing 30-40 minutes of cardio (either the stationary bike or treadmill) and I have already started the 30 day ab challenge,  It actually does not start until June 1 but I was having trouble getting through the first set of 15 sit-ups!  I figured that a few days of practice was needed.  Oh my! I am so sore and tired! I was already about 40 pounds overweight before the vacation that sent me over the porky edge.

So, here I am with my happy salads and blueberries. My diet will not have any comfort foods or good ol' southern cooking.  I am on the "whole food and mostly locally grown diet.  I firmly believe that we (humans) need to eat food that resembles what humans ate before pre-packaged, highly addictive preservative riddled, genetically modified food substances were developed.

So, if it has more than five ingredients, I will make it myself.  If I can buy it at the local farm market, I can eat it.  Unless it is a fruit or vegetable, if it is trucked into the area, I can't have it.  I can have one meal per day that will contain locally raised meat but most of my food will be veg-based. That is my diet.

I will likely be blogging about this subject again as I work through the next few weeks.  I think the 30 day ab challenge should be interesting since I have never tried anything like that before.

1 comment: