Friday, March 21, 2014

Managing Chores and Work

Running a small business is a difficult task under any circumstances.  I believe that working from home requires a certain amount of self discipline and a passion for the work in equal measure.  My own measure of success has very little to do with the economic growth of my business, but has everything to do with what keeps me happy and motivated.  The monetary aspect comes automatically with my own happiness and motivation.

We all have heard of the self absorbed workaholic but have you ever heard of a person just obsessed with their work?  It has been my experience that the workaholic is so because they are trying to escape something in their social or home life or both.  It is a negative state of mind.  The obsessive worker loves what they are doing so much that they sometimes forget the world around them with no intentional neglect. An obsessive worker is positive and a pleasure to be around.  It reminds me of an old saying; "If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."

Now, you may ask 'What does this have to do with managing chores & work?'  Well, I would say; 'Everything!'  As a person that has worked from home as a workaholic and as an obsessed worker, I am much more pleasant to deal with on every level and I get so much more done with my simple obsessions!

Sometimes, we must live in the moment and take advantage of the fruits available at that moment. In the late winter/early spring here in the Potomac Highlands, it is Maple tree tapping time. Without going into too many details of making Maple syrup, once your trees are tapped you must gather about 35- 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of maple syrup.  To make that gallon requires boiling for many, many hours a day.  On those days, you must be able to multitask.  As I write this blog, I admit that today is one of those days. So I am sitting at my kitchen table with an eye on my maple sap boiling on the stove while I write my blog and make earrings and necklaces to sell for an upcoming show on Saturday.

So, for two days it is about getting chores done and getting some artsy/crafty stuff done simultaneously.  This is another example of cycling through various mediums. The jewelry design is a good one for me to work without too much thought - it is a more instinctual medium when multi-tasking. I don't have to dwell on design details other that if it is appealing and stylish. I can just focus on the quality of the product while I get my chores done.  Some would argue that making maple syrup is an art form too and I would agree.  However, my chores also include a hike with my old dog, some laundry, house cleaning, and planning meals, etc.

I know that my hubby likes me much more now even if I am rather obsessive.  He even teases me on occasion about it but the difference is that he seems happy now too. Even though I am working just as much and as hard as I did when I was a workaholic, I am getting my chores done, being sociable and managing my art business with a happy family life too.   I think I must be doing something right nowadays.  Being driven to succeed does not mean you must sacrifice the joy of living in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment