Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Business Models

When I first started my art business, I was wide eyed and naive about the business world.  I think this is normal for most creative types.  Artists really are not motivated by money.  Frankly, I don't think anyone is actually motivated by money.  I think some business types and moguls are motivated by the chase or the game of getting money and then just become hoarders of it.

As for me, money does not motivate me.  I like having it and spending it occasionally but I have no desire to devote a third of my life to acquiring it.  I can happily devote nearly every waking moment to my art though and I need money to support that obsessive habit.  I enjoy sharing my creations with the world. Thus, my art business is born.

I had to figure out how to get my creations out to the public.  I started with researching what others had done.  I joined the local arts councils to build a name and following.  I began to participate in juried exhibitions and contests.  I offered pieces to retail stores and galleries on consignment.  I participated in art co-ops.  I had developed my style and a good reputation. Within a few years, I was traveling all around the area trying to keep track of what I had and where I had it.  Then shops started closing during the recession and I was losing my inventory and income. I was losing control of my business. It was time to change and redefine my model.

I made the decision to pull everything back and get control of my work. Since I really am not adept at running a business, I decided to spend a year or so selling my work myself and doing in-depth research of my market.  I had to get into the "muddy trenches" so to speak. I don't have a store front so I am still out on the road. Now though, I have my art, my pop-up, and a privy tent.  I do the craft shows in the mid-Atlantic region.  I keep detailed logs of what sells in which areas and at what prices.  I tailor my exhibitions to the region. For example, in rural areas, I sell rustic and more nature oriented art such as old barns, antique vehicles, eagle paintings, and natural stone, wood or antler jewelry.  Near the coast I sell sea bird or beach paintings, lighthouses and ocean motif or bright colored jewelry.
   
Nowadays I have almost nothing out on consignment.  I feel like I have a better handle on my business and feel knowledgeable about the markets in which I serve.  I learned that any business owner must be able to wear many fashionable hats for success which include logistics, accounting, marketing, management, sales and human relations.  I am sure that my model will change again in the future but for now, I am happy and in control of my work life.
 

2 comments:

  1. You have done marvelous work in building your business and showing an astute and pragmatic effort to gain a solid customer base.

    ReplyDelete