Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Inspire Change

I think every artist wants to inspire others or at the very least generate a conversation.  I recently got some flack over my series of junk vehicle photos.  So, I think I should take on this subject in a full frontal assault - so to speak.

As a society of compulsive consumerism (a wonderful phrase coined by my neighbor), I think we should be aware that our discarded items don't just disappear when the giant magic WM (Waste Management) truck rolls through the neighborhood.  All that waste must go somewhere.  Unfortunately, out of sight equals out of mind for most folks.  The truth is that the waste we produce in our 21st century society is far greater than the amount our parents, cousins, grandparents, and neighbors combined.



Remember when folks took things to a repair shop or returned our soda bottles or aluminum cans? Now we throw away everything and get new sometimes just because we are bored with the thing. What is the reason for individually wrapping every piece of hard candy or roll of toilet paper?  We don't need all of this waste.  Stop buying things with "paranoid packaging." Consider replacing a power cord or fuse or whatever before you throw out that appliance.  Try separating your trash into plastics, paper, glass for recycling and compost.  Yes, I said compost! Quit buying all that fertilizer and potting soil and make your own.  It is not that hard to do.

The 2011 tsunami in Japan created about 5 Million Tons of waste and EVERY single day we dump the equivalent amount of garbage into our oceans and landfills.  Embrace the recycle and re-purpose concept. Do it for selfish reasons such as for yourself or for your children.

Go for a walk in the woods and appreciate your world for its beauty. Savor the smell of nature and sway to the music of the wind.
Meanwhile, I will continue to try to inspire you to recycle and re-purpose with my images of deteriorating buildings and vehicles.  I will continue to re-purpose old shoes and re-design vintage jewelry. And I will separate my trash for recycling and compost.  I will continue to show the beauty of my world in my art and photography and hopefully inspire change.

1 comment: