Monday, April 21, 2014

Find Your Talent

Remember the old saying;  "Find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life."  One does that by finding their talent.   Everyone has a talent and it can be a potential for success.  

I have seen the most amazing talents. Some are sound based like musicians or singers. Some are very left- brained based like folks with ridiculously accurate mental calculating abilities.  Equally amazing are people with the ability to maintain calm in the face of insanely provocative behavior or the ability to light up a room and make everyone happy with just a look.  
Some talents are somewhat obscure and rather unheralded.  I have one of those types of talents.  I notice things.  It sounds so simple and perhaps that is exactly why I believe it is a true talent.

Most folks go through their world with blinders on solely focused upon what is important to them in any given moment.  When we cruise down the road, we notice what is happening on the road in front of us.  But what about in the trees above the road or the fields along side or the woodland pond that we pass along side? What about those folks that always notice the 4 leaf clover  in an entire field of normal clover or those folks that always notice the diamond ring on the beach or the $20 bill on the sidewalk? It is a talent.
My own powers of observation may just be noticing details but I think it is more than that.  If I am in the forest, I notice the creatures around me and believe that is why I am a good wildlife photographer. If I am in the city, I notice the people around me and how they interact with the world around them.  I recognize their cultural differences and perspectives through their subtle physical language.    It is a more visceral sense that (in my interpretation) seems to be an amalgam of visual, tactile, & aural observation with a touch of empathy. 


Anyway, the point is that I notice the physical communication as a creature (human or otherwise) interacts in their environment.
Any artist is always searching for a way to communicate a feeling - an opportunity to illicit an emotional connection with their audience or viewer of their work.  The fact that it may be somewhat different than the artistic intent is often a delightful surprise.  If a person can identify the relationship between things then they can successfully exploit it in a way that is personally beneficial.  In other words, find YOUR talent and practice using it daily.  That is the best way to find something to do that will make you happy every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment